關於我哋 About Us
HBL was founded after a chance meeting between the Founders Dr. Chaak Ming Lau, a Hong Kong linguist and Viveik Saigal, a beginner student of Cantonese at CUHK CLC learning center.
During discussions, the need was identified for ;
1) A better font for Yale and Jyutping Romanisation that would offer more cues for more accurate Cantonese Pronunciation.
2) Storybooks in Cantonese and Jyutping in Print and Digital for the Beginner Adult and Child student wrote to their level and sensibilities.
3) A graded scale for Cantonese to systematically study the language and plan teaching materials.
4) Self-study/Assisted modules for the non-Chinese learner that can be conducted and assessed with the help of laymen Cantonese speakers in their circles of acquaintances and friends.
These resources would help language learners ;
- Who Live and Work in Hong Kong
- Improve their Cantonese
- Enjoy Cantonese culture
而家做緊咩？What is going on now ?
With these goals in mind, the founders and volunteers are creating an open-source depository of enabling software and materials. These resources are focused to develop Cantonese fluency in the Kindergarten to Primary 3 prescribed levels of the child and adult learner.
學習元素 Learning Elements
Jyutping and Yale system improvements to help accelerate early retention
分級詞表 GRADED SCALE
Targeted learning based on word frequency and usage. Ensuring spaced and varied repetition and use.
Graded readers and activities that introduce diverse content and interpretation within the scale developing a writing eco-system
Tools that make possible quick conversion of Cantonese Text to commonly used first languages in HKG
Voice recordings of writings available in the various cantonese accents. Repetition through varied exposure.
輸入類型 TYPE TO WRITE
A practical tool generating Chinese Characters through Jyutping entry and multiple first language references
喺平面媒體入面加入增潤內容，喚起同慶祝香港同埋嶺南文化。Recalling and celebrating Hong Kong and Cantonese Culture delivered as additional micro content in print media
Creative teaching materials and process for motivated lay person to facilitate early learning
使命宣言 Mission Statement
熱愛粵語 Love it
Where Cantonese and its Culture thrives, is experienced and explored in its diverse vernacular forms.
活學粵語 Live it
By making available the tools, learning elements and foundational practices that allow a smooth immersion in living Cantonese.
傳承粵語 Grow it
Crafted by spirited, loving and creative groups of community practitioners collaborating in co-creation, driven to their own learning and appreciation of all things Cantonese.